Pages

Monday, February 19, 2018

Snips!

With the unusually warm weather in February the parsnips that were grown last year were starting to send up green fronds.  When they do that the flavor usually goes south, so it was time to dig them up.  These are Javelin, from Johnny's.  I've found that this variety outperforms the Harris Model that is commonly seen.

I like parsnips, but they don't produce a lot, especially considering that they have all year to grow.  These came from a 4' x 4' patch, probably about 4 to 5 pounds.  There's a recipe for parsnip muffins that I've been meaning to try out.  It's definitely time for pork roast and parsnip.

To see what other gardeners are harvesting, head on over to http://www.ourhappyacres.com/

3 comments:

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I confess I have never grown parsnips. They are certainly an under-appreciated veggie, along with kohlrabi I guess. Pork roast and parsnips sounds tasty for sure!

Phuong said...

It looks like you got some nice big parsnips, and your seed starting setup looks fantastic. Do you leave your lights on 24/7 when you're seed starting? I just started onions and peppers today, which is always fun.

gardenvariety-hoosier said...

Phuong - I usually set the timer to keep the lights on 14-16 hours a day.

Post a Comment